Change is good (for the most part)

Lorelei decided to help with the laundry while I was working.

Lorelei decided to help with the laundry while I was working.

Things have been changing around here, and I don’t just mean the slight makeover to the website. My job has officially changed, with a different title, a different hourly wage and a different schedule. The raise couldn’t have come at a better time since we’re saving for a down payment on a new house, but I’m still adjusting to the new schedule.

In the past, I worked whenever I could throughout the week. That meant that some days I would work for half a day and some days I would work just an hour or two. I always checked my email on a regular basis, but this schedule meant that, other than a weekly conference call and the day or two before a project was due, I could be completely flexible. I could schedule doctor’s appointments whenever I wanted, grocery shopping could be done during the week to avoid crowds, and I could have fun outings with the kids whenever we wanted. With my new job title, though, comes more set work hours (and more work hours total). I now work Monday, Wednesday and Friday all day. Once some additional hires are made at the nonprofit and a couple of big events come and go, I’ll also be going into the office in Chicago once a week. It’s still much more flexible than most jobs, and for that I’m very thankful. I’m still adjusting to my new schedule, though. Trying to balance the kids and work all day three days a week has been tough at times. Since I’m just working at my laptop, Landon doesn’t always understand why we can’t go somewhere at the drop of a hat or why I can’t spend hours searching for a particular game or video for him (of course, Lorelei doesn’t really allow for that, either). I dread leaving them once a week in the near future, but I’m hoping that I’ll be able to get a lot of work done in the office so that my other two works days at home aren’t quite so hectic.

A combination of work, a flat tire and my husband working very long hours meant that I recently went a week without leaving the house. During a recent grocery shopping trip, Landon said that the store is his “favorite place.” Obviously I need to be better about getting out of the house with the kids on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But then I worry about when to work on the website and do any freelance work. Maybe I just need to chalk Mondays and Wednesdays up to work entirely and spend the evenings after the kids are asleep working on the website and any freelance projects. Maybe I need to take a step back from freelance projects. Maybe I need to be OK with Lorelei playing in the Pack n Play sometimes so I don’t have to chase her around as much (she crawls awfully fast these days).

I’ve only been at this for a couple of weeks, so hopefully I’ll get a new routine down soon. In the meantime, I’ve been saving a lot of money on gas and my Keurig certainly doesn’t feel so lonely anymore.